Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Update

"Congratulations," Dad said, as I walked in. "Some woman called Darlene phoned to say you have the job if you want it. You need to call her back before 7."
That was the moving company.
What luck - the creepiest place I've ever seen wants to hire me and, broke though I am, I don't want the job. Dilemma: money or happiness... Money or happiness (not to mention safety)...
We discussed it over dinner, and Mom said to call my oldest brother for advice because he's worldly. Been around the block a few times, worldly, same diff.
The first time I called there was no answer, so I left a message. The second time, a quarter of an hour later, Ev picked up.
"Hey sis. I just got your message."
"Oh. Did you believe me when I said I was pregnant and needed your advice?"
"No. (Laughs) Of course not."
"Um. Not sure whether I should feel insulted or gratified. Anyway, there's this problem..." Went on to describe the company that wanted to hire me. "...and the place - it's really run down, near Newton, right by the river, - you can see the Pattulo Bridge from it."
"Sis, do you know what they call that area?"
"No."
"The Rat Flats."
"Ah. Well, I see why."
"Yeah. I'd go with the temp agency if I were you."
"Think I will then, thanks."
Brothers. I love them.

Tomorrow's plan: Hit up the temp agencies, harrass Domaine de Chaberton (great local winery) about a job, try to do something about student loan (non-)repayment. Easy peasy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home