Friday, November 18, 2005

Tag! You're It!

Just realized the Jedno tagged me a while back, so here goes... uh, my 23rd post only had one sentence, so lets do 24th... GAH! Damn you, Jedno!
"We offered it so that you'd find a good job, and a... [giggles, but tries to sound authoritative]... a good husband!" - My poor dear mother, talking about the intention of a rosary said in the car. Some things don't change - after I caught the bouquet at my brother's wedding last week (more on that below), Mom was heard to say, wishfully, "You know, they say it really works..."
Well. I think everyone I know has been tagged by now, so I'm not going to pass the honour on, but thanks, Jedno. Thanks for the recognition. It (sniff!) means a lot to me.

Anyhoo. The wedding. I would have to say that the finest point of the evening was not the exchanging of the vows (Evan said "Absolutely!" instead of "I do"... cringe...); nor was it the bride and groom's first dance, or the bride's tearful toast to the parents; no no, the highlight of the evening was the bouquet toss. Now, normally, I hate the bouquet toss, because it makes me feel like I am lying in one of the meat fridges at VONS with a label reading "Best Before: SOON" plastered on my forehead, along with a couple of those orange "$2.00 Off" ones - but this time was a little different. I caught the bouquet. The funny thing was, I didn't mean to catch it. I don't think I was even watching the thing as it flew through the reception hall. However, as sister of the groom, I had dutifully stuck my right hand up in the air; and as the tallest female there (everyone else was Chinese and short, and I had sadistically worn heels), the flowers landed smack in my grasp, wrong way up. One deep-red rose popped off at this abuse and skittered away across the floor. The absolute best part was lowering my hand, staring surprisedly at the bouquet, and declaring, loudly, proudly, unthinkingly, for all to hear, " SHIT!!" This fine moment was caught on not one but four video cameras (Chinese wedding, what can I say?) and goodness knows how many point-and-shoots. Ahhh... me so graceful. The families will be proud.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

"one of the meat fridges at VONS with a label reading "Best Before: SOON"" So funny. Still spicy after all these years!

1:27 AM, November 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home