Sunday, September 11, 2005

Elderly Drag Queens? Oh, They're in Aisle 7"

Reaching for the packet of coffee, my first thought was, "Hey, that guy and his wife have matching hairdos." Both wore their thin grey hair in high ponytails fastened by depressed-looking scrunchies. Then I saw his shirt. "Hmm. Wait a minute, that's a floral print. Little black and white flowers... keyhole neckline, tied with a ribbon... elbow sleeves..." Blink. "Oh my goodness, that man's wearing a blouse!" My eyes trailed down. Openly staring now, I took in the white miniskirt above his knobby knees. Then, "White nylons. He's wearing sheer white nylons, and he shaves his legs. Wow. High-heeled sandals, too... hey, Mar has that same pair." He and his wife were comparing teas as though it was completely normal for skinny 6'3" grampas to dress as women. I grabbed my coffee and ran before they could see me laughing. And then I thought, if my husband decided to turn transvestite, would I stick with him? That's a faithful wife, a strong woman, and maybe she deserves a little of my respect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home